I feel like I have been out of the teaching blog loop for awhile. Most of my updates in the past few months have been product related and I can’t even remember the last time I blog stalked someone! I jumped on my Google Reader today to catch up on some of my favorite blogs and stumbled across Five for Friday hosted by Doodle Bugs Teaching so I thought I’d play along!
At first I thought, “Bummer. I missed this on Friday. I don’t want to post on a day other than Friday. Guess I’ll try this next week.” And then I remembered “DUH! It IS Friday, not Saturday!!” (I had a day off today due to ice so I feel like I have “skipped” Friday, sort of.) Ha ha ha….ha. Next week I’ll be more prepared with pictures and whatnot.
- This week was a three day week for me! Monday was a holiday and today we missed due to some ice that was on the roads this morning. (After the day I had yesterday I am grateful for the day off, but missing means my extra art time will have to be rescheduled!) This is our second day missed this year due to ice. We’ve had hardly any snow this year! And while it’s been freezing and we’ve had ice guess what the temperture is supposed to be on Tuesday. 66 DEGREES! Weather in Kentucky is insane!!
- I got my hair highlighted on Wednesday. It’s been awhile since I had it highlighted. I had to wait awhile since I just got it re-permed back around Christmas. When I got home, someone wanted to snuggle with me.
- I made some Short Vowel Word Family Roll and Read activities for my kiddos. I have so many that are struggling with reading this year. I really feel like having to do Saxon phonics is not helping those kiddos at all. Introducing combination er one day and then moving on to something different and random the next is confusing for them. It’s confusing for me! Before this year we always spent a week on 2-3 different phonics skills so we got to practice many times. It’s not that we don’t do that at all anymore, but with Saxon I think my struggling kiddos just feel plain overwhelmed. I think they’ll enjoy these roll and read activities as a nice change from the Saxon stuff.
- We had bus evacuations on Wednesday. The kids were actually pretty good. I seem to remember them being pretty good last time also. The bus driver we had this time was…. let’s just say she was taking her sweet time. It was really cold. I think she could have put a little more pep in her step to get us all back inside quicker!
- We had an animal assembly on Wednesday (Wednesday was busy for me!). Our school was one of the few in the district that received fidelity with our PBIS program. The district awarded us some money we could use for school-wide rewards. We chose to have two assemblies. We had a Bruce Amato magic show back in December. This time John from Animal Tales came and did a great assembly for our school called Nature’s Nightlife. He brought a Rococo Toad, White-nosed Coatimundi, Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Barn Owl,and an African Crested Porcupine. The animals were great and the kids loved it! My favorite was Fluffy the porcupine. She was a cutie! You can see pictures of the animals here.
Next week will be tough – a five day work week! I’m getting way too used to these days off!!